Saturday, March 5, 2011

This was perhaps one of the most important choices of my video game career.
Not just in regards to my weird obsession with Pokémon as a child, but through my entire video game history. Probably because it was my first major decision in my first major game.
Bulbasaur, Squirtle or Charmander?
The Pokémon I picked decided the entirety of how I played the game, though I didn't know it at the time.
It decided how I would play the first  few hours of the game; grinding to fight Brock or breezing through him. It decided the makeup of my team; I would never need another fire, water or grass type if I wanted decent coverage. 
Since I had a brother who also played these games, my decision how I would play in contrast to him. We didn't want the same starter, so we had to come to some sort of agreement; when you're 10 that boils down to yelling and biting. 
This was so monumental because Pokémon was my first videogame that I played seriously. "How do you want to spend the next umpteenth hours in this game? We won't tell you anything about these little guys. Pick wisely." Part of the nostalgic magic of these games come from that thrill of your first serious, honest choice as a gamer. Never again will you get that first experience.
So who do you choose?
Squirtle.
Squirtle forever.

(Also, if you find the original source of this art please tell me. I would like to accredit the artist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment